Saturday, December 4, 2010

Mini Residency

I haven't written in awhile.  There has been a lot going on.  The mini residency has ended.  One week down.  It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be.  I did learn that time management is my downfall.  Everyone says it is something that I will learn but I find it very frustrating.  I take pride in doing things in a timely manner and getting everything completed is a challenge.  Another thing I have been wondering about is if I spend too much time explaining things that the students have to rush through their work to get it done.  How does one discover that balance?  I have never thought you could have too much explanation but maybe you can.

I have been thinking how it would be nice to have an outsider come in and evaluate me as a teacher and not as an intern so that I could really see what improvements I need.  I know next year I will be evaluated as such so it would be nice to know what to work on this year so that I can be truly prepared for next year.

Classes are almost done and that is a nice feeling.  I can't wait to be able to just concentrate on the classroom.   I love working with the kids.  I know that I will have to continue taking classes and I have so much more to learn, but my passion is really working with the kids rather than taking classes.  It is a wonderful feeling to know that the students are learning and it is because of something I did.  We just completed a test on our last book focused on reading comprehension, phonics, and grammar.  It was nice that all but three of our students received an 80% or higher with most of those being above 90%.  This is where I get to work with the students so it was nice to see them do so well with something I was teaching them.  It also makes me feel good when I can help come up with a solution to help a student with a problem and sometimes even recognizing that there is a problem.

Even though the students have two weeks before winter break they are already moving into that mindset.  These next two weeks will definitely be interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment