Saturday, September 25, 2010

Transitions

Having only been in my classroom 8 days I don't have much to compare with.  As far as parts of the day that seem harder for the students, I say there does not seem to be much difference.  Some students struggle first thing in the morning and take a bit to settle down, but otherwise the students behaviors seem consistant morning and afternoon.

I haven't been alone with the students yet.  I have had a couple who have tested me by not listening when I have asked them to do something.  I usually tell them they have to the count of three before they have to pull a card.  That does it.  I haven't gotten to three yet but once I start counting they listen and then I don't have a problem with them again.  At least it is working so far.

Transitions depend on what we are transitioning to.  During rotations there is a bell that is rung twice and the students know to stop working and listen to find out where their next rotation is.  During most other transition a silent countdown is done.  This is where the teacher says quiet countdown begins now.  She raises her hand and then slowly lowers five fingers one at a time.  At the end everyone is quiet and listening for instructions.

No comments:

Post a Comment