Starting over at a new school is challenging because I haven't had the time to get to know the students real well. My mentor teacher has been very encouraging and supportive. I have not seen their reading yet as I have only been there for four afternoons. I have been able to witness some writing and my mentor has shared where the students are in their reading and has shared their dibel scores with me so that I can choose the students I want to focus on.
In the first grade they have 9 students who are well above their classmates in reading so instead of taking the lower levels out for reading they pull out the higher level students so that they have the opportunity to continue in their reading while the others are getting direct instruction from the teacher. I have not heard of teachers doing this before so it was an interesting way to do reading intervention. If the students are paying attention they will see that anyone can be pulled out not just those that are behind academically. Also we have a little girl who joined the class the day before me and she started the year in kindergarten, but after having her in class for reading my mentor and her teacher decided it would be best for her to be moved ahead into first grade. She is academically right where a first grader should be and fits right in socially as well. You would never be able to pick her out from anyone else in the class. I am looking forward to begining this week with seeing some morning routine.
I like the idea of doing pull-out for good behavior or things.
ReplyDeleteYou will catch on to the morning routine quickly.